In the past few years, we have seen that people are becoming conscious about their health and have switched to organic food. Also, we have seen, how people are paying attention to save environment. For this, the first step that they have taken is to minimize the usage of plastic by using reusable grocery bags. This has not only saved animal and human kind, but also saved fuel which is used in good quantity to prepare plastic bags.
There are still many products that are being made from polypropylene, but those items are reused like plastic boxes, crates etc. Similarly, to save plants people have started using recycled wood for making furniture and other items that can last long. This way all those logs that were dumped in a place as wastage and all that furniture that were discarded are sent to factories where they are recycled and new furniture are made out of it. This reduces cutting of more trees. We should remember that it takes years to grow a tree, but seconds to cut it down.
Reclaimed wood furniture that is made from any wood except a fresh wood gives us an opportunity to save trees. Such wood come from timber which is removed from old buildings, floors, beams, ceilings etc. They are in good condition and are strong enough to be used again. If there is any warp or infestation, it is taken care of by adding some chemicals in factories.
Here are some benefits of using recycled wood for furniture –
- Increasing demand of reclaimed wood has reduced the chances of logging. This means that many forests are saved now and with increasing cultivation, we will have many trees in long run which will be stronger and good for other purpose.
- Most of the wood used in reclaimed furniture is got from barns, sheds and many other different structures that were made strong and still have life. They can be polished and reused because they contain the same strength and doesn’t require much manpower and chemicals to refurnish.
- Reclaimed wood has different and trendy look which doesn’t require varnishing or painting. It has an aesthetic look that many home owners prefer.
- The best part of reclaimed furniture is that even if it has some stains or scratches, they can be ignored because that is the glory of such furniture.
- Older woods cannot get damaged because when such wood is damageable, it is never recycled.
- Fresh wood is soft and tender whereas reused wood is dried, warp and been through a lot of wear and tear. The one that you are using has already seen tough days and what has come out of it, is a strong and durable material.
That rustic living room with reclaimed coffee table makes your guests feel at home. By using reclaimed furniture, you are giving that wood a second chance to shine. Instead of using it as firewood you have given it another life. It isn’t necessary that reused wood can be used only for living room, if you want you can decorate your bedroom where you sit and relax with a cup of coffee.